Eugene Forsey Liberal

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

QC-Cdn Culture

Women (and men) can go topless in Cda - SCC said so.
Women (and men) can't get Govt services in QC if their faces are covered.
So if a woman shows up in a QC Govt office topless, but with a niqab, the bureaucrat will say "I'm sorry Madam, but I can't serve you until I know if your face is as attractive as your breasts"?

Reminds me of an acquaintance, years ago, who was rolling a doobie in a Vancouver restaurant while his friend smoked a cigarette. Server came over, said "sorry you can't do that here". Acquaintance started to apologise and hide joint. Server said "no, you're fine. But the smoker will have to leave."

I guess it makes sense. But very Cdn. Very odd.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is a predictable result of multi-cultuuralism. More to come...

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Mark said…

    The law is an ass.

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger whyshouldIsellyourwheat said…

    Devil's Advocate mode ON:

    If I put up a poster of a scantily clad woman at work, I create a hostile work environment for women working there.

    Wearing a niqab creates a hostile living environment for women in Canada.

    Women are a protected group under the equality provisions of our charter, and thus, special provisions to ensure that they are not exposed to a hostile environment are justifiable.

    One has to balance freedom of religion with the freedom of women in our society. Women are a protected group. Religions are not. Equality rights probably top religious rights in this case.

     
  • At 12:41 AM, Blogger Eugene Forsey Liberal said…

    Could one not also argue that some women wearing scant or revealing clothing creates "a hostile living environment for women in Canada", just as your work posters do? Should one also then outlaw miniskirts? Low-rider jeans and things? Where does it end?

    I oppose the niqab/burka ban in principle, but support it in practice, as I think it forestalls even more illiberal legislation, and the way it's written, it will hold up in court as a "reasonable limit".

    But it's a slippery slope, and I don't lie to myself about it. I'm making a call that the way things are in QC, it has to be done, to stop worse happening. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think I'm right. But I'm not happy about it, even if I am right, and Loi 94 is the right move.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home