Careful What You Wish For
VOLPE!? You know, I think what we really need to do is whatever Chantal Hébert tells us... Not!
Crikey, it's hard to be a Liberal. Yeah, let's attack the guy who fought the separatists almost single-handed for a decade, who remained loyal to the party & leader even when tossed from cabinet and Rodriguez was trying to force him out of his riding, and who got the UN's Montreal Accord done, and who won the leadership despite starting with nothing but ideas & idealism against cynical machines. Who, contrary to Hébert & her ilk in QC, has made the Liberal Party the leading federalist party in QC again. He improved upon Martin's 2006 showing, despite all the disadvantages (not government, demonisation, etc.). Yeah, that guy SUCKS!
Isn't it striking that the guy who came to party politics the latest, Dion, is like, the last Liberal who actually embodies supposed Liberal values of loyalty, patriotism and vision? Everyone talks the talk, but only Dion has walked the walk.
Last point/question: how many of his critics would have had the intellectual, moral & physical courage to take on angry crowds, hundreds strong, and calmly argue them into the ground, as I saw him do in QC from 1996 onwards? When I read the patronising tone of these useless pieces of crap, I get angry. Not a leader? Find me one, just one, other politician or media figure who could and would have done what Dion did for Canada.
Frankly, if he gets pushed out by these turds, I'm starting to think he should join the Green Party. He could sit in Parliament while using debates, speeches and articles to rip apart the other parties' vacuity.
Everyone should think very carefully about what's going on, because Dion unleashed is a force of nature. The Liberal Party has not been nearly as loyal to him as he has been to the Liberal Party. Who could blame him if he jumped ship? And if he's no longer bound by ministerial/party/caucus solidarity, he can just let rip. The next "Next Trudeau" could then enjoy having his statements and his party positions utterly demolished by the one guy recognised as perhaps the last decent honest politician in the land, as well as the smartest.
I want Dion to stay on as leader, although that might be selfish, since it's what's best for the party and Canada, but probably not for his health or happiness. But I'll admit, I'd really enjoy hearing him freed to speak his mind. And if he joined the Greens, I'd follow him. And I wouldn't be the only one.
Crikey, it's hard to be a Liberal. Yeah, let's attack the guy who fought the separatists almost single-handed for a decade, who remained loyal to the party & leader even when tossed from cabinet and Rodriguez was trying to force him out of his riding, and who got the UN's Montreal Accord done, and who won the leadership despite starting with nothing but ideas & idealism against cynical machines. Who, contrary to Hébert & her ilk in QC, has made the Liberal Party the leading federalist party in QC again. He improved upon Martin's 2006 showing, despite all the disadvantages (not government, demonisation, etc.). Yeah, that guy SUCKS!
Isn't it striking that the guy who came to party politics the latest, Dion, is like, the last Liberal who actually embodies supposed Liberal values of loyalty, patriotism and vision? Everyone talks the talk, but only Dion has walked the walk.
Last point/question: how many of his critics would have had the intellectual, moral & physical courage to take on angry crowds, hundreds strong, and calmly argue them into the ground, as I saw him do in QC from 1996 onwards? When I read the patronising tone of these useless pieces of crap, I get angry. Not a leader? Find me one, just one, other politician or media figure who could and would have done what Dion did for Canada.
Frankly, if he gets pushed out by these turds, I'm starting to think he should join the Green Party. He could sit in Parliament while using debates, speeches and articles to rip apart the other parties' vacuity.
Everyone should think very carefully about what's going on, because Dion unleashed is a force of nature. The Liberal Party has not been nearly as loyal to him as he has been to the Liberal Party. Who could blame him if he jumped ship? And if he's no longer bound by ministerial/party/caucus solidarity, he can just let rip. The next "Next Trudeau" could then enjoy having his statements and his party positions utterly demolished by the one guy recognised as perhaps the last decent honest politician in the land, as well as the smartest.
I want Dion to stay on as leader, although that might be selfish, since it's what's best for the party and Canada, but probably not for his health or happiness. But I'll admit, I'd really enjoy hearing him freed to speak his mind. And if he joined the Greens, I'd follow him. And I wouldn't be the only one.


5 Comments:
At 9:00 PM,
penlan said…
Great post - extremely well said!
At 11:01 PM,
Anonymous said…
The Greens would be too Conservative for Dion.
At 11:20 PM,
kristin said…
this is seriously my new favourite blog. Dion. I love him, and I want him to stay. Canada needs him. Bad.
He probably would not move to the Greens... but if he did, that might be alright. I'd go to.
At 10:38 PM,
Eugene Forsey Liberal said…
Thanks for the comments. Merci.
At 11:11 PM,
Beijing York said…
Chiming in to say great post. I fully agree that the LPC were sabotaging him from day one. Add to that Harper's swiftboating of the man and still he prevented the party from being eviscerated. I truly believed at the outset that there was a good chance that the Liberals would be reduced to a handful of seats.
But Dion performed well during the debates and was finally picking up steam until CTV did that smear job in the final days. Too many Liberals bought into the Harpercon's protracted smear campaign, that's for sure. And Harper is as happy as a pig in sh*t with all this infighting. He saw a weakness, dissent within the Liberal ranks, and capitalized on it.
If Dion feels pressured, he should give the LPC the finger and join the Greens. Take the party back to it's progressive roots (the party that it was before Jim Harris took over). I don't want to see a US type of bi-party system in Canada nor do I want the NDP to morph into the US Democrats or UK Labour. If the Liberals insist on destroying their party, which they will with this move, let Dion rebuild the Green Party into something more reminiscent of the traditional progressive European Greens.
Post a Comment
<< Home