Eugene Forsey Liberal

Friday, November 03, 2006

Nation : implications

I saw the following brilliant letter, "The Catalonia comparison", in
the Globe today. Très juste: "Quebeckers will expect more than a
merely symbolic gesture in constitutional negotiations and it is hard
to see what additional powers Quebec might be accorded over and above
those it already possesses while still remaining a province within the
Canadian state." Can't link right now, so here's link and text:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061102.LETTERS02-9/TPStory/National

The Catalonia comparison

MATT BERGBUSCH

Montreal -- Doug Saunders's interesting piece on Catalonia's new
"nation" status (Nationhood Chills Catalan Nationalism -- Nov. 1)
might lead some to conclude that it makes sense after all to accord
Quebec similar status in the Canadian Constitution. The difference, of
course, is that Quebec already possesses the various powers accorded
Catalonia under Spain's constitutional amendment.

It is these powers over language, education, immigration and taxation
that give substance to Catalonia's new "nation" status and that have
deflated separatist aspirations. Any attempt to attribute "nation"
status to Quebec within the Canadian Constitution would necessarily
awaken a desire within Quebec for powers over and above those that
Quebec already possesses -- otherwise why bother?

Quebeckers will expect more than a merely symbolic gesture in
constitutional negotiations and it is hard to see what additional
powers Quebec might be accorded over and above those it already
possesses while still remaining a province within the Canadian state.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger James Curran said…

    I agree on this Catalonia thing. They never had the powers PQ currently enjoy. The reason Catalonia is coming up now is because older Ignatieff speeches are hitting the net with Michael's references to Catalonia. I know, I posted them. Now the Iggy bloggers are using them as support talking points.

    Good post.

    The What Do I Know Grit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home